Oil on Board 24X36
CAPE FLORIDA LIGHTHOUSE
In 1825, the Cape Florida Lighthouse was built to serve as an important link in this network of navigational aids. The lighthouse is the oldest building in south Florida. In 1855, the height of the structure was increased from 65 to 95 feet and a 2nd Order Fresnel lens was installed. In 1861, Confederate sympathizers removed the lamps and burners and smashed the crucial center prism so it could not be used as an aid to Union sailor who controlled the surrounding waters. The lighthouse was repaired and re-lit again in 1866.Finally, when nearby Fowey Rocks Light was placed into service in 1878, the lens and illuminating apparatus atop the lighthouse were removed and shipped to Staten Island, NY.
|Cape Florida Oil on Board 24X36||$1800|
|Cape Florida Giclée Print 24x36||$350|